Voter card is very important for the Indian citizens (above 18 years). Voter cards are authorized by the Election Commission of India (ECI) who provides these cards to all eligible voters advising them to vote in a distinct electoral district. A voter card has your name, your father’s name, sex, date of birth, address, and photograph, thus helps in preventing electoral forgery during voting. It acts as a reliable proof of your identity, age, and place of residence, which thus helps you get other identity cards also.
Where to Register Online?
There are many certified websites for online application of voter card, e.g. http://eci.nic.in. The website provides the details of the polling booths mentioned online and is ready to accept online applications for the same. Google Maps can be used to locate the correct polling booths. Chief Electoral Officer for each state is responsible for the online registration process. Be careful of the dubious links or virus-inflicted sites.
Why Apply Online?
- You do not have to hassle for a long queue
- You will get your voter card in a month compared to 9 months according to the traditional system
- It is an easy and error-free process
- You can easily make changes to existing card online
- You get to know the status of voter id card easily through mobile phone updates
- You have the liberty to complete the process at your own time
How to Apply Online?
- You must log on to the official site of your state’s chief electoral officer
- If you are applying a new card for the first time, click on option Form 6 under online voter registration box
- You have to enter your personal details like name, email address, and mobile number
- You will receive a unique login number and password with which you can log on
- You again click on Form 6 online
- You must fill the form accurately and do not leave any details incomplete
- You must attach a passport-size color photograph
- Finally, you have to click the “Submit” button
Documents to Be Submitted
After completing the online application for your electoral card, you have to submit the hard copies of the documents needed for approval at your voters’ facilitation center:
- Age Proof: birth certificate, school leaving certificate, etc.; this is needed only for 18-21 years
- Address Proof: ration card / passport / driving license / income tax return filed or assessment order / bank passbook / latest water bill / telephone bill / electricity bill / gas connection bill / any postal letter received in your name on your address etc.
Once the verification is done, your task for applying voter card is over.
Checking Status and Complaint
You can easily check the status of your voter card online by visiting the website of your state’s election commission officer and clicking on house number, application number, or applicant name, and then choosing the correct form number and search for it.
You can also track the status by calling 1506 and following the instructions further or sending an SMS to 9433633333 with your unique serial number that you would get once you finish filling the form.
If you do not receive your voter card in a month or two, you can complain online in the “Online Complaints” tab.
You can personally go to the voters’ facilitation center/polling booth, fill the form of application, stand in a long queue, wait for your turn, and deliver it along with the proofs needed. Instead of all these, you can effortlessly register it online.