Communication has been the basis of human evolution, without which everything in the world would just be impaired. Since it is the key component in every aspect such as business, knowledge, relationships and everything else, without a good set of communication skills understanding any of these aspects would be nil. So it cannot be implied enough as to how important it is to have a great sense of communication these days. With the technology reaching its peak point and becoming a major part of communication it is very essential to have good communication skills to achieve success in all areas of life as wrong and irrelevant communication can lead to misunderstanding, frustration and the results can be disastrous.
Types of communication
There are basically two main types of communication; verbal communication and nonverbal communication.
- Verbal communication: this type of communication is either pictorial or human spoken and can be further sub-divided into: – written form, visual form and oral form.
- In this form of communication either of the previously mentioned two forms of languages is used to describe feelings, emotions and thoughts. The learning of a certain form of languages takes place at an intensive rate during one’s childhood.
- There are thousands of languages used among humans to communicate among one another in an oral communication. In oral communication different sounds and gestures are used to express one’s thoughts.
- In written communication different systems of symbols that vary along with each form of language are used to according to some specific rules also known as grammar to write one’s thoughts.
- In visual communication the symbols that are used, are mostly universal and doesn’t vary from place to place but breaks the language barrier and helps in better and easy understanding. Some everyday examples of visual communications can be observed at traffic signals.
- Non-verbal communication is actually a tad bit difficult than the other ones as this includes non-word messages which are way harder to deliver correctly. Such on-word messages include haptic, body posture, hand and body gestures, eye contacts, change of facial expression, chronemics, the tone of one’s voice and also materialistic communication like clothing and hair styling. This is why non-verbal communication requires a set of good communication skills
Importance of communication
Communication is undoubtedly an integral part of all living beings. The bearings of good communication is understood best when it’s actually lacking. Communication and that too great is a very significant part of relationships in all areas of life. Here are some of the most relevant aspects where a good set of communication skill is very essential:
- In business: the key to achieve success in business doesn’t only rest upon networking and building great professional relationships but also maintaining them. A crucial part of business acumen is dependent on how good an individual is in communicating. Some of the greatest factors in running a good business are customers, stockholders, the partners, media and last but not the least the competitors. It is highly essential to say the right things at the right place at correct timings. In business it is important to deliver the right message to all the earlier mentioned factors as these decide the rise and fall of a company.
- In workplace: managing human resources in a work place is a highly difficult skill that not everyone can manage. Human resource is a very volatile resource the management of which can be perfected only with a good communication. This is why it is important to develop good communication skills. This important machinery comprising of humans is actually lubricated through great communication skills. Communications at these levels have to follow a certain guideline prescribed by the organization.
- In personal relationships: it is no more necessary to mention as to why such stress in communication is suggested by all marriage and relationship experts all over the world. In simple words communication is the key to any relationship. Any sort of lack in communication will easily result in break ups and divorces and even despising one another in life. Lack of good communication can also lead to build up unrealistic expectations, grudges, misunderstandings etc.
Ways to improve communication
Here are some tips to improve communication and to develop effective communication skills:
- One at a time: this approach is very simple. Divided attention has never done anyone any good. Important details are easily overlooked if one is multitasking. So it is essential to focus on what the topic of conversation is and solely provide all the attention on the person one is communicating with whether on the phone or the face to face.
- Eye contact: eye contact not only helps in having an easy understanding but also expresses confidence in oneself which is very necessary while communicating with another.
- Listen carefully: yes, it is important to listen and give the other person a chance to talk to make sure there is no irrelevant blabbing.
- Ask question: if there is something that is not clear then one must ask the other to repeat or provide a simpler understanding as this will show how much interest one is actually taking in understanding each and everything.
- Closure: it is also important to confirm if the conversation has come to an end or not as it might leave the other thinking whether there is anything left out or was everything understandable.
If misinterpreted, a message can easily lead to losing a job, failing in an interview, misunderstandings with the teacher, family and friends. It must also be noted that this particular set of skills is not something anyone is born with; it is actually learnt along with time. So there are people who may seem to be very confident in the way they present themselves and one could be wondering as to why they can easily excel in life without big hurdles in the same areas where others can’t. The most relevant answer to this is that they have developed overtime a great set of communication skills which make it very easy for them to cross all hurdles in life.