It is important for every Indian citizen, to get a voter card for herself or himself once she or he attains the age of 18. It is a very important document that serves as a testimony for the identity of the citizen.
Check Voter Card Status
You can receive your voter card in a month’s time after online application, compared to 9 months when applied going to the booth level officer or local election commission office.
You can easily check the status of your voter card online.
The following steps would be useful:
- Visit the website of your state election commission office
- Click on any of the three options: House Number, Application ID, or Applicant Name
- Choose any of the three options: Form No. 6, Form No. 8, or Form No. 8A
- Click the Search button
- The status of your voter card will appear on the screen
If you get errors on your card details, you can fix it up updating the details online and then you can later check whether the errors in your card have been fixed. Select Form No. 8 to know the status of the updated card.
Form No. 8A helps you to know the status in case you want to transpose your card.
Advantages of a Voter Card
Voter cards are authorized by the election management authorities who provide these cards to all eligible voters advising them to vote in a distinct electoral district. They also explain you when and where to vote.
A voter card has a number of advantages:
- It is a reliable proof of your identity
- It confirms that you are duly registered as a voter
- It has several identifying features, such as photograph, signature, fingerprints, etc. to assure you to be the one who you claim to be
- A voter card is used as your only piece of identification at the voting station on the election day
- It helps in preventing multiple voting or otherwise commit electoral fraud