There are many different types of home remedies which are meant for treating cough and they certainly work in an excellent way for all those people who wish to look for the many different types of cough remedies at home to treat their cough. Here are some of the best remedies for treating the cough symptoms in the adults as well as the children:
Home Remedies for Cough Treatment for Adults
In order to provide treatment for cough treatment in the adults, here are some of the best remedies:
- Drink Warm Liquids: Green Tea which is meant for cough is the best home remedies for sore throat for the adults. Along with herbal tea, a warm soup is a much better solution.
- Gargles: Whenever you feel a slight soreness in your throat, it is advisable that you gargle with salt dissolved in warm water. The salt in the water aids in draining the excess fluid from the inflamed areas in your throat thereby reducing the symptoms.
- Use Vapo-rubs: One other effective remedy for cough remedies at home is to use Vaporub. You will be able to sleep better when you apply Vaporub.
- Throat Lozenges: By taking zinc lozenges every two to three waking hours, it will help to reduce the duration of a cold by almost half. You will be able to overcome the irritation which has been caused by constant coughing when you put some throat lozenges in your mouth. These throat lozenges will also be able to prevent the progression of a sore throat to a cough.
- Onion: A very simple cure home remedies for treating cough is by cutting onions. By inhaling the strong vapors of onion it will stop you from coughing.
- Turmeric Remedies: As an adult, you can also reduce your sore throat by drinking hot milk with turmeric powder.
- Sleep With the Head Elevated: In many people the cough is produced when the mucus drips from the back of the nose into the throat. It worsens at night because it is at this time that your body posture is helpful for such drippings. It is therefore advises that you should sleep with the head at a higher position so as to minimize such drainage. There are lots of people who find that sleeping in this position helps reduce coughing at night and that it also improves sleep.
Tips To Aid In Curing Sore A Throat
- Stay hydrated. Fluids can help thin secretions.
- Avoid inhaled irritants such as smoke, dust, or other pollutants.
- Take Steamy Showers, and Use a Humidifier
- Remove Irritants From the Air
- Cough drops may soothe an irritated throat.
- Do not smoke or use tobacco products
Home Remedies for Cough Treatment for Children
Providing relief to your children as a parent if they have a sore throat is indeed a tough task. Here are however some important ways to help you out:
- Water therapy: This is indeed the best treatment for cold and coughs for your children. As a parent, it is necessary for you to motivate your children to drink lots of water. You should after every hour and also whenever you give them medicines check the temperature of your child.
- Drink more of juice: One of the best home remedies for cough in children is that you should motivate your children to drink lots of juice and that too lemon juice. If your child has been having colds and coughs for more than one week then it becomes necessary for you to visit your doctor and ask for a medical prescription.
- Steam inhalation: Steam inhalation works out to be an excellent treatment for colds and coughs. Steam inhalation helps to moisten the air passages; it also assists in the loosening as well as in the elimination of mucus by coughing or blowing of the nose. It also aids in good sleep. It is safe to use a steamer for children when compared to a vessel with hot water.
- Eucalyptus oil: By mixing some drops of eucalyptus oil to your child’s bath tub as well as a tiny drop on your child’s handkerchief or by adding a few drops to a bucket of hot water and even by placing it below the cot at bedtime will provide immediate relief to your child from coughs and sore throat.
- Ginger and honey: By extracting the juice out of freshly ground ginger (about half an inch) add one teaspoon of honey. You can give one teaspoon of this potion to your child once a day. Since ginger is known to have anti-inflammatory properties, it will help to soothe the throat thereby relieving the cough. On the other hand honey being a natural expectorant relieves the cold.
Here are some available herbal supplements for cough:
- Lobelia is an herb used to soothe a dry cough.
- Marshmallow Root helps to soothe the throat and helps to get rid of dry cough.
- Wild Cherry Bark Syrup acts as an effective cough expectorant.
- Children can have Mullein tea when they show their first signs of cough.
These are therefore some of the best home remedies for sore throat in children and adults.